A journey of a thousand miles, must begin with a single step.
Micro:bit Smart Home Workshop for Kids
Does your child have boundless imagination and likes to invent things? Register for our special 2-day workshop and let your child create a Smart Home while learning to code!
- Learn to Code for Kids age 9 to 14.
- 2-day weekend camp on Saturday and Sundays, 3 hours per day.
- Scenario-based learning, guided by professional programmer trainers.
- Learn next level programming for kids who are experts in Scratch.
Here’s what your child will experience in the 2 day workshop
- Hands-on building of the Smart Home and assembling the electrical components.
- Understand how physical sensors work, and how to write code to control them!
- Learn about electrical components, how they work and how to connect them to create Smart Systems.
- Be guided by our experience programmer trainer (MOE-registered) throughout the class.
- Play piano with AD Keyboard
- Ring a Door-Bell
- Automatic LED Lights
- Auto Front Door Opening
- Activate Crash Alarm
- Check House Temperature
- House-to-House Radio Network
- Musical Rhythm and Party Strobe Lights
The class is structured to be delivered over 2 days during the holiday period so that kids who are just beginning to learn how to code may have the initial close guidance and support for them to start off.
Attending the introductory class will help your child
- Experience what a physical device can do, and how it can be used professionally to solve problems and create solutions.
- Encourage your child to the think with a creator mindset, and create their own applications.
- Discover if your child has the interest and potential to become a great inventor!
- Inspire your child’s learning journey and learn a critical skill that schools do not teach comprehensively.
If your child is 9-14 years old, now is the best time to let him or her have a headstart in programming and inventing!
Sign up your child now for the special 2-day holiday class and have fun programming and making cool things at Computhink (www.computhink.com.sg)!
Register for the Micro:bit Smart Home Workshop and find out how your child can benefit from learning programming at Computhink!
3 hours per class
Max. 10 students per class
None required. These classes are meant for beginners.
Laptops will be used and provided for each kid. If you would like to bring your own laptop (Windows 7 and above only), do let us know in advance!
Course fee includes the purchase of Micro:bit mini-computer, Smart Kit and accessories worth $99! You can bring these item home after the class!
Computhink Kids SG
203, Hougang St 21
Micro:bit Smart Home Workshop
June Holiday Camps
Saturday & Sundays
For ages 9 to 14
Micro:bit Smart Home Workshop
June School Holidays
Saturday and Sunday
Slot A: Jun 29th and Jun 30th (9.00 am to 12.00pm)
Slot B: Jun 29th and Jun 30th (1.00 pm to 4.00pm)
*Updated 2019 Jun-1*
for 2-day class (3 hours per day)
* inclusive of Micro:bit, Smart Kit and accessories worth $99
$30 off for current students!
Move on to our Weekly ScratchThinker Class and advance your real-world programming skills!
Maximum learning in small classes
All our classes are kept small to ensure maximum attention to your child's learning needs. By keeping the class small, we ensure that each kid gets the guidance and coaching he or she needs to bring their imagination to life through programming. Besides allowing us to get to know your kid better, we also encourage the kids in our classes to get to know one another and this is better facilitated in a small group setting.
Hands-On Activity-Based Learning
We believe that kids learn best when they do it themselves in a fun environment. That is why we ensure that each kid is given a laptop to work their own respective projects and try their hand in the programming projects and activities. It is heartening each time we see the kids beaming and being proud of themselves when they get the code to work as they want it to.
Our Teaching Philosophy
This idea that kids will learn anything that they want to, when they are given the freedom to create, inspires and drives our teaching philosophy. In this, we are influenced by the work of Sugata Mitra (Educational Researcher) whose research demonstrates the effect that a child’s innate curiosity and interest have on learning complex subjects outside the normal school environment. At Computhink, we adopt a 3-pronged approach to teaching kids which is guided by these 3 questions by the child: (1) What can I do?; (2) How can I do it?; and (3) What else can I do?
Follow-On Mastery Classes
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Scratch Programming?
What is Scratch good for?
How does attending the Beginner Scratch class help in laying the foundation for my kid’s future?
Developments in the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Mobile Connectivity, Big Data, and the Internet of Things, have raised the collective capabilities of these technologies and combined them into networked services that would soon render a number our current skill-sets obsolete. It used to be thought that computers and machines will only be able to replace jobs which are repetitive in nature, however, it is estimated that 40-60% of jobs will soon be replaceable by computers.
The ability to understand and write computer programmess will empower your kid with the skills to navigate, understand and perhaps create this computational future. In whichever profession that your kid may enter in the future, it is certain that programming and logical thinking skills would be a key part of it.
How does the Beginner Scratch class differ from the Scratch Coder class?
The Beginner Scratch class is the basic introductory class for students who did not have prior experience in programming. This is why we teach kids using Scratch, developed by MIT, which comprises visual blocks which kids can simply drag and drop, with minimal typing. In this way, kids can quickly create fun games and animations, while at the same time, learn basic computer programming concepts.
The Scratch Coder class is developed for kids who have attended the Beginner Scratch classes or are rather new to programming. The Scratch Coder class provides intermediate level instruction for kids to further their interest in programming and comprises many more activities and projects of progressive challenges so that kids can master the programming concepts through varied practice. The Scratch Coder class is only available weekly.
The Scratch Coder class is part of the Computhink Code Club which aims to expose your kids to various programming languages and provide regular weekly guided practice so that kids can continue to hone their programming skills.
What is the Computhink Code Club?
- Choose 4 classes of 1.5 hours each (Each pass gives a minimum of 4 classes to be utilised within a 3-month period);
- Select the preferred days according to the pass (Our classes are offered Mondays to Sundays to accommodate your busy schedules);
- Easily reschedule any missed classes (Can’t attend the previously scheduled class? No problem. Let us know to reschedule the class for your child within that week); and