Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Learn Python Programming The Fun Way With Minecraft!
Why should your child learn Python Programming?
- Python is one of the top 10 programming languages in the world, and is highly in demand by employers in the biggest technology firms such as Google, Facebook, Youtube, and more!
- You can use Python for pretty much everything.
- Data Science & Big Data Analysis
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- Web Development (i.e. make websites)
- Finance and Trading
- Network Systems and Security
- Scientific and Mathematical Computing
- Basic Game Development
- And much more!
- Python is widely used in Data Science and Machine Learning Projects. In Singapore, Python was used to analyze train schedule data, and successfully identified the rogue train which was causing massive train delays on the Circle Line.
- Python Programmers are in demand and are amongst the most highly paid programmers in the US and the world.
- Python is very beginner friendly. Python Language Syntax is clean, readable and elegant which makes it the perfect language for beginners to start learning to program.
- Python is a language of choice for MOE O’Levels Computing Subjects.
Why learn Python Programming with Minecraft?
We believe that the best way to learn is when the student is self-motivated to complete certain tasks that they are interested in. We use Minecraft as the environment for students to practice their code, but the focus is always on the programming. As we always say in class, “Show me your code.”
In the PythonThinker Programming with Minecraft Class, students learn computational and programming concepts with Python® and use these skills to build big structures in Minecraft such as a house with a swimming pool, or a high tower surrounded by a flowing lava moat in just a few seconds and with just a few lines of code! By learning how to write programs in Python and applying it in Minecraft, your child will learn a new skill while having absolute fun in Minecraft!
This course is part of our beginner Python® Programming Class suitable for young programmers aged 11 and above.
- Getting to know Python® and Minecraft;
- Learn Python® syntax, coding structure, loops, conditionals and data types;
- Incorporating Python® programming into Minecraft; and
- Create, Design and Build in Minecraft…faster and better with Python®!
- Build complex structures with Python® and Minecraft, do time-consuming tasks in Minecraft instantly with algorithms
- Beginner PythonThinker
- Introduction To Python
- How to write and run Python programs
- Data Variables and Data Types
- For Loops
3 hours per class
Max. 6 students per class
Age 11 & above
None required. These classes are meant for beginners, but it is recommended to complete the ScratchThinker classes before moving on to PythonThinker.
Laptops will be used and provided for each kid. If you would like to bring your own laptop (Windows 7 and above only), do let us know in advance!
Students should have their own Minecraft (PC version) login user id and password. We will also help to provide the Minecraft ID on request.
Computhink Kids SG
203 Hougang Street 21
for 4-day class (3 hours each)
** Holiday Discount of $100 off. Sign up before Oct-2018!**
Year-End Holiday Camps
Monday to Thursday
Morning and Afternoon
For age 11 and above
Year-End School Holidays (Nov-Dec)
Monday to Thursday
Week 1: Nov 19, 20, 21, 22
Wk1a: Mon - Thu, from 9.00am to 12.00pm *or*
Wk1b: Mon - Thu, from 1.00pm to 4.00pm
Week 2: Nov 26, 27, 28, 29
Wk2a: Mon - Thu, from 9.00am to 12.00pm *or*
Wk2b: Mon - Thu, from 1.00pm to 4.00pm
Week 3: Dec 3, 4, 5, 6
Wk3a: Mon - Thu, from 9.00am to 12.00pm *or*
Wk3b: Mon - Thu, from 1.00pm to 4.00pm
Week 4: Dec 10, 11, 12, 13
Wk4a: Mon - Thu, from 9.00am to 12.00pm *or*
Wk4b: Mon - Thu, from 1.00pm to 4.00pm
*Updated 2018 Sep-01*
for 4-day class (3 hours each)
** Holiday Discount of $100 off. Sign up before Oct-31st 2018!**
Move on to our Weekly PythonThinker Class and advance your real-world programming skills!
Maximum learning in small classes
All our classes are kept small to ensure maximum attention to your child's learning needs. By keeping the class small, we ensure that each kid gets the guidance and coaching he or she needs to bring their imagination to life through programming. Besides allowing us to get to know your kid better, we also encourage the kids in our classes to get to know one another and this is better facilitated in a small group setting.
Hands-On Activity-Based Learning
We believe that kids learn best when they do it themselves in a fun environment. That is why we ensure that each kid is given a laptop to work their own respective projects and try their hand in the programming projects and activities. It is heartening each time we see the kids beaming and being proud of themselves when they get the code to work as they want it to.
Our Teaching Philosophy
This idea that kids will learn anything that they want to, when they are given the freedom to create, inspires and drives our teaching philosophy. In this, we are influenced by the work of Sugata Mitra (Educational Researcher) whose research demonstrates the effect that a child’s innate curiosity and interest have on learning complex subjects outside the normal school environment. At Computhink, we adopt a 3-pronged approach to teaching kids which is guided by these 3 questions by the child: (1) What can I do?; (2) How can I do it?; and (3) What else can I do?
Follow-On Mastery Classes
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Learn Python® Programming?
While computing has been a subject at the ‘A’ levels, at the secondary level, computing is often provided as enrichment or offered as a CCA. To answer the call for kids to be exposed earlier, MOE recently announced that programming will be offered as a subject at the ‘O’ Level examinations and the programming language students will learn is Python.
What is Python®?
Note: “Python” and the Python logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Python Software Foundation, used by Computhink with permission from the Foundation.
What is Python® used for?
- Web and Internet development (e.g. Dropbox, Survey Monkey, Bitly)
- Scientific and Numeric programming, data analysis and modeling (e.g. in forecasting earthquakes)
- Desktop applications (e.g. in 3D animation for films)
- Networking and System Administration (e.g. OpenStack in cloud computing)
- …and much much more!
Why Learn Python® Programming with Minecraft?
That is why, we believe learning Python® should be fun, and we have incorporated Python programming with a popular game that we are sure your child knows: Minecraft!
Kids will learn the Python programming language, basic concepts of programming and how to think computationally to solve problems. However, rather than writing code and looking at text output (which can be quite boring!), students will write Python® codes and exercise their creativity to build amazing things at a very fast speed in Minecraft.
For example, by using a concept called loops (which makes the computer do something again and again), kids can build big structures like a house with a swimming pool, or a high tower surrounded by a flowing lava moat in just a few seconds (or less) with just a few lines of code!
By writing programs in Python®, your child can build amazing things, and learn to re-use the same code again and again to build more things in different Minecraft worlds.
What this course is NOT about…
Is there any prerequisite for this course?
In terms of equipment, we will provide a laptop for each kid to work on. However, each kid must have their own Minecraft login and password.